Stage Station and Homestead
Gazing out at the modern world from the inside of a nineteenth century Stage Station and Homestead in rural Pinal County, Arizona.
Established in 1879 by the Southern Pacific Mail and Stage Line Company, the one-room adobe station and adjoining mesquite corral functioned as a horse changing and water stop on the route from the railroad station at Picacho for passengers travling to Florence and beyond.
In 1913, rancher Juan Verdugo recorded the property as a homestead and, in 1917, he added a second room and raised the roof. A ranch school was built to the north around the same time. In 1920, the property returned to the State of Arizona and is currently located on State Trust Land which requires a permit to visit. Area ranchers continued to use the buildings as bunkhouses and storage until the late 1980s.
Although the buildings are currently vacant, cattle continue to graze the surrounding land under a grazing lease between local ranchers and the state.
(N 32° 49.406', W 111° 26.184')